Thursday, August 12, 2010

What does one do with a JAR of WHEAT GERM?


I made the granola bar recipe I posted on January 28th again a few weeks ago. I needed to buy a JAR of wheat germ to get the 3 TBSP that I needed for the recipe. That got me to thinking...what can I do with an entire jar of this? What benefits can I get from eating MORE wheat germ?

I first wondered WHAT is wheat germ? I found out it is the core of the wheat berry and provides nutrients such as fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Research has shown that it can help decrease the body's absorption of cholesterol and if fermented, can inhibit the growth of both estrogen-positive and estrogen-negative breast tumors. ("Wheat Germ: The Quintessential Health Food." Environmental Nutrition 30.9 (2007): 8. Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. Web. 12 Aug. 2010.)

My inquiry took me on a journey through cookbooks and websites and scholarly journals. The most helpful information I found came from http://www.wheatgermbenefits.com/. The site explains that wheat germ contains a HIGH amount of VITAMIN E, an anti-oxidants that is beneficial for the skin, as well as:

* B vitamins such as folate, niacin, thiamin, and vitamin B6
* Calcium
* Complex carbs
* Fiber
* Iron
* Magnesium
* Manganese
* Omega-3 fatty acids
* Phosphorous
* Potassium
* Protein
* Selenium
* Zinc

OK. Learning this information, from multiple sources, made me realize that it is a GOOD THING to add to my diet. Now to figure out how.

Reading the label on the jar gave me the tip to use wheat germ in recipes in place of bread crumbs (all or a portion). This is helpful...I can use it when making meatballs, meatloaf or breading boneless skinless chicken breasts and baking them. Perhaps I can add some when making breads or muffins, just substitute some in for the whole wheat flour. Why not experiment with a bit to start? Perhaps I can sprinkle some on my cereal?

I found recipes, but have not tried them, at http://www.wheatgermbenefits.com/wheat-germ-recipes/.

Why not add this cholesterol lowering food to your diet? Why not add a food to your diet that can be GOOD for your heart? Purchasing a jar for the 3 TBSP needed in the granola bar recipe may lead you down the path of a healthier diet.

Product website: http://www.quakeroats.com/products/more-products-from-quaker/content/cereals/kretschmer-toasted-wheat-germ.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment