Thursday, February 7, 2013

Thursday Thoughts - CAFFEINE

February is HEART HEALTH MONTH. We exercise which works our heart muscle. Do we think about what we INGEST and how it effects our heart?

I made a new year's resolution to reduce my daily intake of caffeine. I drink a cup of regular coffee or tea when I awaken and then, at home, drink water or decaffeinated coffee or tea. At work, where caffeine is the only option, I limit myself to a cup when I arrive. I have to admit, on a chilly day I have had a cup to warm myself up! each day I am trying to be smarter about cooking and packing my lunch...on cold days I am trying to pack homemade soup to keep me warm, rather than a cup of coffee!

Caffeine is in many foods and beverages. Not only does chocolate contain caffeine but so too does herbs like guarana, kola nuts, and yerba mate. Many medications also contain caffeine.


The website ENERGYFIEND lists the caffeine content in many beverages.

According to the American Heart Association, studies are being done to determine if there is a link between caffeine consumption and heart disease. Why wait for the results? Attempt to reduce your caffeine consumption ... perhaps some day you will eliminate caffeine, "the world's most popular drug" from your diet entirely!

No comments:

Post a Comment