Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Kohlrabi...What is it? How do I use it?

A few months ago I met a new friend, kohlrabi. This vegetable has become a friend in the kitchen. It has an odd shape but it tastes good!

One of the local farmer's at the Farmer's Market had this round bulb for sale. Never seeing the bulb with leaves before, I inquired as to what it was. He told me is was a cross between a cabbage and a turnip and could be used in soups AND the greens could be cooked like collard greens. I took a chance, AM I GLAD I DID!

I love to use the KOHLRABI in soup. I cut a small onion, a few carrots, and a stalk or two of celery (carrots and celery are in proportion to the size pot of soup you wish to make). I saute them in a put with just a bit if butter until translucent. While I am doing that I cut the kohlrabi bulb into small cubes and add to the pot. I have found the entire bulb to be edible when the outer layer does not appear fibrous. When it is, I trim that part of the outer layer. (The purple variety has appeared to be a bit more fibrous when I have purchased it.) I add low sodium chicken broth and a bay leaf and bring to a boil. Then I add potatoes, diced to the size you prefer. Let simmer until kohlrabi and potatoes are tender.

HINT: I add carrot greens to the pot as it is simmering. Adds flavor and nutrients! I take the leafy portion off the stems. The stems are stringy and chewy. It's WORTH the extra five minutes!

Why do I like this vegetable so much? Not only dies it taste good and is it a two for one (bulb + greens are edible) but it is nutritious! It can be eaten raw in a salad or cooked. It is a low calorie food too! Livestrong.com touts the benefits of Kohlrabi providing one with Vitamin "C" and "B" Vitamins.

Kohlrabi health benefits include:

Good for the skeletal and digestive system.
Great for protecting cells and DNA from free radicals.
Great source of antioxidants.
Help the body to absorb iron better.
Improves oxygen circulation which increases energy.
Good source of fiber.
Help stabilize blood sugar imbalances.

The addition of the carrot greens provides the body with Vitamin "K" which is not found in the carrot itself.

Food.com has several recipes for using Kohlrabi ... Try A FEW ... You Will Like This Vegetable Too!



No comments:

Post a Comment