Monday, January 28, 2013

Monday Meal Make-Over... Chicken Soup

With all of the germs traveling through the community, I thought it would be good to fix a comfort food that has been given the label as the traditional soup to help one recover from a cold.

I made chicken soup today with some of the ingredients left in the refrigerator. I sauteed a frozen chicken breast in a bit of olive oil. Then I added 4 cups of low salt chicken broth and allowed the meat to come to a running boil. I turned the burner down to low and cooked for an hour.

I added two potatoes,4 medium carrots, and a stalk of celery. (No egg noodles made this gluten free). I brought this back to a boil then reduced it to low until the carrots and potatoes were tender. The last 5-10 minutes of cooking I added carrot greens to the pot.

If noodles were being added, you could cook egg noodles in a separate pot (using chicken broth as the liquid). When done, the noodles could be added to the rest of the soup.

Livestrong has many tips for how to modify Chicken Soup Recipes for the desired health benefits you are seeking.

The health benefits of chicken soup can be found by following this link
. Details about the anti-inflammatory properties are expanded in the article. Another source for additional information on health benefits is linked here.

Making the soup caused me to wonder what the VEGETARIAN VERSION of Chicken Soup was. I found a recipe on Food.com for Vegan Veggie Dumpling Soup that I will try (and modify to make gluten free). After I finish my Chicken Soup, I will try this recipe and make modifications to make it Gluten Free.

No comments:

Post a Comment