Sunday, March 24, 2019

Eliminate Food Waste ... Recipes and Household Uses for Citrus Peels


Wasting food is a concern of mine. I try to purchase only what I need so I do not waste my money or precious food.  I read the article “12 Ways to use Food Waste” by Amy Palanjian and she suggests using a citrus peel to flavor water. This fascinated me as I have noticed wedges of citrus in water, not just the peel.


This prompted me to start to look for other uses for citrus peels. Citrus peels can be used in a variety of ways.
  • The peel can be grated and stored in jars for use in recipes.
  • A citrus peel can be added to a 50/50 mix of vinegar/water and soaked for a week. The result is a scented household cleaner.
  • Citrus peels can also be boiled in water. The natural oils in the peel will permeate the water and the room acting as a natural air freshener.
  • A citrus peel in the refrigerator will help remove odors much like a box of baking soda does.
  • Orange peel is known to remove scuffs from the rubber soles of athletic shoes.




“This post (or portions of this post) was provided by New Hope Network. I am a member of the New Hope Influencer Co-op, a network of health and wellness bloggers committed to spreading more health to more people.”

No comments:

Post a Comment