Sunday, June 24, 2018

Summer Skin Safety

Our skin is our largest organ and we need to take care of it. When I was young, there was not a strong push to use sunscreen. People would TRY to go in the sun and bake themselves to get a "great tan". People even applied baby oil to their skin to speed up the burn/tan. As I got older people started a trend of understanding that a sunburn was not healthy, so going to a tanning booth for a "baseline tan" to ward off a sunburn was healthy.Today we understand that none of that is good.

I know I have caused damage to my skin because I did not know any better when I was younger and the adults around me did not as well. Today I consult friends who are Dermatologists to make sure I am purchasing the best products to protect my skin.

Today I want you to consider checking yourself for PAST sun damage. We can take steps to prevent any future damage, but we need to remedy what happened before we knew any better. Delicious Living Magazine posted an article, 8 Steps to Self Check for Skin Cancer. I highly suggest you follow at least one step. Last year I went to a Dermatologist for what I thought was a concerning spot on my leg. I left with three skin cancer spots sprayed. What I thought was a big deal was not. What I did not even realize was a concern was skin cancer.

According to the article, the rate of melanoma cases is on the rise. At least 90,000 new cases will be diagnosed this year alone. Do not wait for your annual exam to have your doctor scan your body, follow the guidelines of the Skin Cancer Foundation and do a head-to-toe exam of your skin every month. Since this is an important NEW ROUTINE, it might be best to create a schedule and do the test on the same day so you remember. After a few months it will become routine! You’ll want to look for new or changing lesions that may be cancerous or pre-cancerous. The organization says skin cancers are almost curable when found and removed early.

The article points out the following places to scan with a bit more attention:
  1. Face
  2. Scalp
  3. Hands
  4. Upper Arms
  5. Neck, Chest, Torso
  6. Back of the neck and Shoulders
  7. Calves
  8. Parts of the body generally covered with clothes when in the sun
Contact your doctor if you notice anything unusual. Use a good sunscreen to protect your skin from today and each coming day. Cloudy days still provide UV radiation, use a facial lotion that includes sunscreen to protect your face and skin while driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment